Wednesday, August 27, 2014

HOW TO: Make a Fun Rehearsal Bouquet

It's traditional, at least around here, to make a bouquet out of bows from the bridal shower for the bride to carry at the rehearsal.  As the Maid of Honor, I got tasked to make one for my friend Jessica.  It's a pretty goofy, not-supposed-to-be-glamourous tradition, but I still wanted to try to make something cute. 


I started with the fairly standard disposable plate as a base and cut the lip off.  I made a handle out of floral wire that I poked through the plate.  A similar outcome could be achieved with a toilet paper roll.  I even have a handle from a used up lint roller that could work really well.  Or just make life totally easier for yourself and buy a ready made bouquet holder.  

My bouquet base and handle.
I think in theory, it's traditional to use all of the bows from the shower, but seriously, it's ok to just use the pretty ones.  I did have some pretty good bows to start out and they were mostly in her wedding colors.   I started with some of the wrapping paper and pleated it around the plate to make a pretty base, that way the plate wouldn't show where the bows didn't cover.  You could also just cover the plate in the wrapping paper.  

Next start arranging the bows.  I tried to use some of the same tricks that I use for assembling a regular bouquet.  Big flower (bow) towards the center.  Some pretty hang-y stuff on the bottom.  If you've got a craft stash, feel free to supplement.  I used this aqua pom pom trim from mine.



And then you're pretty much done! Make sure everything is tightly secured with glue or tape.  I wouldn't recommend relying on the sticky part of the bow.

Finished product!

Ack.  Forgive the days before the good camera.
Here are some other great examples from around the web....

Via NewlyWoodwards.  Her writing is pretty hilarious and helpful too.
via Cambridge Wedding & Event Design


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This

No comments:

Post a Comment

some_text