Saturday, April 18, 2015

Roundup for the Week: Bridal Market, Prom, and Self Esteem

Hello! I've been a little more absent from the blog lately, so I've been amassing a bunch of things that I want to share with you! 

I had no idea that this week would be Bridal Market, but it's been blowing up my Instagram and Facebook today!

RIVINI Fall 2015. Photo from Bridals by Lori on Facebook. I love the shape and embelishments, but maybe a little too sheer in places for my tastes.

RIVINI Fall 2015. Photo from Bridals by Lori on Facebook. I'm loving all the sleeves and in general, the lack of strapless! So glad that trend is at least temporarily over.

Romona Keveza Fall 2015. Photo from Bridals by Lori on Facebook.
Jenny Packham's new dresses from JennyPackham.com.

It's also prom season! I've been seeing lots of prom formal gowns pop up on all my feeds too! I'll have to do some hunting to find some good stuff, but here's a little preview. It looks like a lot of the trends that are hot in bridal right now, like chiffon skirts and crop tops, are also trending in prom looks. I kind of wish I'd had the internet to look for dresses 10 years ago, but it would probably would have been way to overwhelming and for the best that I just picked from what the mall had, haha.

Madison James 2015 prom dress from terrycosta.com.  Beautiful, but $458 for a prom dress?? 
While that's all well and good, fashion and beauty are only important if it helps you have self esteem...

I've mentioned before that I struggle with anxiety and self esteem. It's hard for me to talk about, but I figure a lot of people do, so I should try to share some things that encourage me. I saw a link to this Mind Unleashed article on Facebook a few days ago and it really resonated with me in a lot of ways. It can be so easy to tear ourselves down for not stacking up to the ridiculous standards that society has set for us, but it's essential to stop that cycle. Point #6 really resonated with me, 
6. Focus on progress rather than perfection and on how far you've come rather than how far you have left to go.
I know my mom has told me that a lot, but I really need a constant reminder from as many sources as possible. I'm far, far from perfect, but I've come so far in the last few years. Also, a few days ago, my mom bought me a workbook on anxiety and depression to work through at my own pace. Doctors haven't been particularly helpful when I've reached out, so I'm looking forward to maybe getting a better handle on at least what help I need to look for.

And last, but certainly not least, an awesome story about an inspiring bride... I don't usually cry at weddings or wedding-related shows, but this episode of TLC's Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta had me boo-hooing yesterday. A bride who was paralyzed from the waist down in a horrific car accident trained for years to be able to walk down the aisle at her wedding, assisted by her father and trainer. Such an inspiring story and she looked gorgeous. All the tears.

All images copyright Alicia Hartfield via The Daily Mail.
So inspiring. Plus, the dress (that she purchased at Bridals by Lori on SYYTD) and her hairstyle are beautiful.


I hope you had a great week! What has inspired you?

-Robin
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This

No comments:

Post a Comment

some_text